The Supreme Court on Friday allowed the Centre to continue with ongoing projects under the proposed Chardham development plan to set up all-weather connectivity for four towns considered sacred in Uttarakhand, PTI reported. The top court, however, said the stay order on construction of stalled projects would remain in force until further notice.
The towns of Yamunotri, Gangotri, Kedarnath and Badrinath will be connected with all-weather roads as part of the plan.
Non-governmental organisation Green Doon, the petitioner in the case, had told the court that the project would cause major damage to the state’s ecology and drew parallels with the impact of the 10 hydro power projects on the region.
- Timesofindia SC okays construction of ongoing projects under Chardham development plan
- Indianexpress SC gives nod to construction of ongoing projects under Chardham development plan
- Firstpost Chardham development plan: SC nod to construction of ongoing projects, green activists fear…
- Timesofindia SC nod to construction of ongoing projects under Chardham development plan
- Thehindu SC lifts stay on stalled Chardham projects