Congress to support Assam CM Sarbananda Sonowal for new government if he quits BJP over Citizenship Bill
Guwahati: Congress leader Debabrata Saikia Saturday asked Assam Chief Minister Sarbananda Sonowal to quit the BJP and form a new government with his party’s support, while the AGP said it may restore its alliance with the saffron party if the Citizenship Amendment Bill is scrapped.
Saikia, the leader of Opposition in Assam Assembly, talking to a local TV news channel here said, “In view of the current situation in the state following the Citizenship Amendment Bill giving rise to protests here, Sarbananda Sonowal should leave BJP and come out with even just 40 of his MLAs.”
“We will have Sonowal only as the chief minister of Assam again. We have 25 legislators in the 126-member House. We can take support from AGP and other parties to form the new state government,” said the Congress leader.
- News18 Citizenship Bill: Congress Offers Support to Assam CM Sonowal For New Govt if He Quits BJP
- Indiatoday Citizenship Bill: Congress offers support to Assam CM for new govt if he quits BJP
- Oneindia Citizenship Bill: Cong offers support to Assam CM for new govt if he quits BJP
- Firstpost Congress offers support to Assam CM for new govt if he quits BJP; AGP says will rejoin NDA if Centre…
- Scroll.in Citizenship bill: Congress asks Assam CM to quit BJP and help it form new government