The Tamil Nadu Assembly on Thursday passed a unanimous resolution urging the central government to withdraw the permission given to Karnataka to prepare a detailed project report for its proposed dam in Mekedatu area across the Cauvery river, PTI reported.
The resolution, moved by Chief Minister Edapaddi K Palaniswami, asked the Union Ministry of Water Resources “to immediately order the Central Water Commission to withdraw the permission given to Karnataka for preparing the DPR [detailed project report]”.
The Assembly mentioned that it had passed unanimous resolutions against the dam’s construction on two earlier occasions. The latest resolution said that the proposal goes against the Supreme Court’s order that upper riparian states must not implement any project without the consent of lower riparian states, The News Minute reported.
- Thehindu T.N. Assembly passes resolution against nod for Mekedatu dam DPR
- Thehindu T.N. parties stand united against dam at Mekedatu
- Thehindu Centre being partial, says CM
- Indianexpress TN House passes resolution against Mekedatu dam project
- Thehindu Corporation passes resolution