A defiant Vladimir Putin on Wednesday threatened to develop nuclear missiles banned under a treaty with the United States after Washington gave Moscow a deadline to comply with the key arms control agreement.
The latest spike in tensions came a day after US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said Washington would withdraw from a major Cold War treaty limiting mid-range nuclear arms within 60 days if Russia does not dismantle missiles that the US claims breach the deal.
Putin dismissed Pompeo's statement as a smokescreen, saying Washington had already decided to ditch the Intermediate-Range Nuclear Forces treaty (INF).
- Financialexpress Vladimir Putin says if US develops banned missiles, so will Russia
- Hindustantimes Vladimir Putin says Russia will respond if US exits nuclear missiles treaty
- Ndtv US Gives Russia A 60-Day Ultimatum To Comply With Nuclear Treaty
- Business-standard Russia says US yet to produce evidence it is in breach of nuclear treaty
- Ndtv “No Evidence” Of Russia Violating Major Cold War Arms Treaty: Putin