President Ram Nath Kovind on Saturday signed into law a bill granting 10% reservation to the economically backward among upper castes, a notification in the official gazette said.
The Constitution (One Hundred and Twenty-Fourth Amendment) Bill, 2019 was passed in the Lok Sabha on Tuesday and the Rajya Sabha a day later. The bill provides reservations in aided and unaided institutions to individuals below an income of Rs 8 lakh per annum. The government has said that the legislation will not affect the existing reservations for other groups.
The notification said the legislation will be known as The Constitution (One Hundred and Third Amendment) Act, 2019, and will come into force on such date as the Centre notifies.
- Oneindia 10% reservation for economically weak gets President’s nod, becomes law
- India.com President Ram Nath Kovind gives nod to 10% quota bill for general category poor
- Ndtv 10% Reservation For Economically Weak Cleared By President, Becomes Law
- Timesofindia President Ram Nath Kovind gives assent to 10% quota bill
- News18 Bill for 10% Reservation to Economically Weak Upper Castes Cleared By President