The Narendra Modi government today approved a 10 per cent reservation for economically backward upper castes in government jobs. A proposal for 10 per cent reservation for economically weaker upper castes was approved by the Union cabinet today.
Following the cabinet approval, the Narendra Modi government will now move to amend the Constitution in order to grant this 10 per cent reservation for economically weaker upper castes.
In order to do so, the government will amend Articles 15 and 16 of the Constitution. These two amendments will provide reservation of not more than 10 per cent to the economically weaker sections among the upper caste or those who fall under the general category.
- News18 Months Before Polls, Modi Cabinet ‘Approves 10% Reservation for Economically Weaker Upper Castes’
- Financialexpress Months before 2019 elections, Modi government approves 10% reservation for upper castes
- India.com Narendra Modi govt to give 10% reservation to economically backward upper castes
- Indianexpress Cabinet approves 10% quota for economically weaker upper castes: Reports
- Ndtv 10% Quota In Jobs For Economically Weak In Upper Castes Cleared: Sources