Hailing the “historic” Constitution Amendment Bill for 10-per cent quota for the poor among upper caste communities, BJP members in Rajya Sabha on Wednesday said that it signals the NDA government’s commitment to “sabka saath sabka vikaas (inclusive growth)”.
Anil Desai, of NDA ally Shiv Sena, wondered how much this Bill will really help the youth given the job losses after demonetisation and implementation of GST. Desai’s concern for jobs lost found echo in the words of another BJP ally – SAD’s Naresh Gujral.
Answering the Opposition’s queries about Constitutional tenability of the Bill with reference to the fact that it was a manifesto promise of the Congress, speakers from the treasury benches took the battle to the Opposition camp. Social Justice Minister Thaawarchand Gehlot asked: “I want to ask (Congress member) Anand Sharma and his party what modus operandi you would have adopted had you been required to fulfill your manifesto promise on quota for upper caste poor. This is the only way…you have been forced to support this Bill.”
- Timesofindia Upper caste quota to help NDA in elections: Ram Vilas Paswan
- Thequint Upper caste quota to help NDA in elections: Paswan
- Ndtv “There Will Be Benefit”: Ram Vilas Paswan On Quota For Economically Weak
- Dnaindia Quota for poor upper caste faces first hurdle
- News18 Reservation for Upper Castes will Help NDA Sweep UP and Bihar, Says Ram Vilas Paswan