Under attack from farmer groups for falling prices, the government on Monday unveiled an ambitious agriculture export policy that seeks to double agri exports to $60 billion by 2022 and do away with arbitrary curbs on exports.
However, the policy found little support from experts who termed the target ‘highly ambitious’, given how exports had fallen from nearly $40 billion five years back to $36 billion in 2017-18. The aim to remove curbs on exports also didn’t find much traction. If previous experience is any indication, the government tends to clamp down on exports at the slightest hint of rising inflation, they said.
Aiming to push India into the list of the top 10 agri export nations, the policy has been backed by the Prime Minister’s Office.
- Financialexpress Cabinet approves agriculture export policy with aim to double shipments to $60 billion by 2022
- Oneindia Cabinet clears agi export policy to take shipments to USD 60 bn by 2022
- India.com With Aim to Double Farmer Income by 2022, Cabinet Okays Agri Export Policy
- Ndtv Agriculture Export Policy To Double Farm Exports Cleared By Cabinet
- Oneindia Cabinet clears agri export policy to take shipments to USD 60 bn by 2022