The court directed the state government to file its response by June 6. The order was passed by the Madurai bench of the Madras High Court.
The order was passed in response to a petition demanding registration of murder cases against senior police and other government officials for the firing and also setting up a Special Investigative Team (SIT).
Madras High Court also directed the state police to not bother the families of missing accused in the name of inquiry.
The government was asked to submit its report by June 6.
Following the violence, Tamil Nadu Chief Minister K Palaniswami had asked for "police action" and announced a judicial inquiry into the issue.
Detailing the events leading to the "unfortunate" deaths, he had said the protesters took out a procession towards the Collectorate defying prohibitory orders in the area. They not only pelted policemen with stones but also set on fire their vehicles as well as those parked in the Collectorate.
''They hurled stones at the collector's office,'' the CM said in a statement.
"The police had to take action under unavoidable circumstances to protect public life and property as the protesters resorted to repeated violence... Police had to control the violence. I was grieved to know nine persons were unfortunately killed in this incident," Palaniswami, who also holds the Home portfolio, had earlier said.
Earlier, Tamil superst...