Security forces in Jammu and Kashmir have been ordered not to launch operations during the holy month of Ramzan, which starts from Thursday. The Centre on Wednesday told security forces not to launch operations during the holy month of Ramadan. The decision was taken "to help the peace loving Muslims observe Ramzan in a peaceful environment", a Home Ministry statement said. Home Minister Rajnath Singh informed Jammu and Kashmir Chief Minister Mehbooba Mufti about the decision, it said.
"It is important to isolate the forces that bring a bad name to Islam by resorting to mindless violence and terror. Security Forces to reserve the right to retaliate if attacked or if essential to protect the lives of innocent people," Rajnath Singh tweeted. In a series of tweets, Home Minister Rajnath Singh said the government expects everyone to cooperate in this initiative and help the Muslim brothers & sisters to observe Ramzan peacefully and without any difficulties.
Last week, J&K chief minister Mehbooba Mufti had chaired an all-party meet to discuss situation in Kashmir following the death of a 22-year-old tourist from Tamil Nadu, who was killed in stone pelting in Kashmir. After the meeting, Mufti said the Central government would be approached with a request to halt security force operations during the forthcoming holy Muslim month of Ramadan and the ensuing Amarnath Yatra.